Call for Artwork
Artists from the southeast region of the United States are invited to submit artworks for exhibition in “Southern Dreaming”, a 2017 Juried Dream Art Exhibition held in conjunction with the Southeast REGIONAL CONFERENCE of the International Association for the Study of Dreams.
The exhibit opens on March 3rd and culminates on April 28th and 29th with the opening of “Southern Dreaming”, the Southeast REGIONAL IASD CONFERENCE.
Exhibition Dates: March 3rd through April 29th
Show Venue: The Greenville Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Greenville, SC.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: Midnight FEB 7, 2017, EST
Eligibility: We are accepting original art work about or inspired by dreams from any artist living and working in the Southeastern United States. Artists do not need to be a member of IASD or a conference attendee to participate in the IASD Regional Juried Dream Art Exhibition.
*Jurors will be open-minded about the relationship of the art work to dream content when selecting the art pieces, as long as the work was inspired in some fashion by visionary or emotional experiences that occurred during sleep. Note: an entrant can create a piece inspired by someone else’s dream.
Media: Due to the unique nature of the space, only two-dimensional media will be considered, including painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, digital prints, collage, and fiber art suited for wall exhibition. Art works weighing more than 25 lbs., larger than 30” in any dimension, or works requiring extensive installation will not be accepted.
Criteria considered by the jury in reviewing entries for the exhibition will include:
▪ Originality – only works created by the artist will be considered. Works that are clearly derivative of other artist’s work will not be considered.
▪ Professional quality.
▪ Relation to dreams or dreaming. If the art was not inspired directly from a dream of the artist or other person that occurred during sleep, you will need to include documentation to show how the art is directly related to such dreams.
▪ Completeness and quality of supporting documents. Incomplete documentation or vague, unclear statements may disqualify an entry.
▪ Quality of digital files. Out of focus, poorly composed or difficult to see images will be rejected.
▪ Art work that is deemed by the jurors to be offensive, discriminatory, or in bad taste may be refused.
▪ Artwork must weigh no more than 25 lbs.
▪ Works will be wired with suitable weight strength wire.
▪ Artwork must be framed in presentable metal, wood or gallery wrapped canvas. No damaged frames or chipped cracked glass accepted. Wall hangings such as quilts, tapestry or weavings must be clean free of damage or stains and have a support system attached. All works that have matting will have clean mats.
▪ GUUF and IASD will not be responsible for any monetary and physical damage claims to works on display. All reasonable precautions will be taken by the Art Exhibition Committee to prevent damage and theft. The system has an anti-theft device that discourages theft. The artist assumes the responsibility of insuring their works or assumes responsibility for theft and damage during shipping or while on display at GUUF for the period of display.
▪ Works accepted to be displayed will remain on display for a period of two months.
▪ Works will not have prices on them, per GUUF policy. A means to contact the artist will be displayed in the exhibition space if someone would like to inquire about a piece of work.
▪ A list of the works with titles, medium or media used and a date of creation will be provided by artist. Please provide a short bio or artist’s statement will be displayed with the works.
▪ The Art Exhibition Committee will make a label for each work and a list of works to be displayed for the exhibit.
▪ An agreement will be signed by the artist and a representative of the Committee. The Committee representative will file a copy with IASD and the Fellowship Office.
▪ The artist agrees, that should a work sell while on exhibit or due to display in the exhibit at the Fellowship, that at least 20% of the sale price will be donated to the Greenville Unitarian Universalist Fellowship.
▪ All work accepted for the show should be considered eligible for reproduction in publications documenting the regional conference.
HOW TO ENTER: All entries must be submitted by email to the following address:
Be sure to include all of the following information along with your digital images:
▪ Mailing Address
▪ Phone number
▪ A brief biographical sketch
▪ Artist statement – describe how your work is dream-related; if the art was not inspired directly from a dream of the artist or other person that occurred during sleep, include documentation to show how the art is directly related to such dreams.
▪ Any additional contact information such as a website address.
▪ Each artist may submit up to 3 art pieces (multiple views or details of the same piece are acceptable if needed).
▪ Each artwork submitted requires the following information:
▪ Size of work (height x width in inches)
▪ Medium or media (if mixed) used for each piece
▪ Price in US dollars if for sale
▪ Image submission requirements:
▪ Files should be in JPEG format only.
▪ Images should display in the proper orientation, with resolution set at 72 dpi and sized to open no larger than 8” x 10”.
▪ The maximum total file size is 1 Megabyte per image.
▪ Artists are requested to compress individual JPEG files to a maximum per images sized at 1024 pixels vertical x 768 pixels horizontal (or) 768 pixels x 1024 pixels for vertical) at 72 dpi.
▪ Image file names should include the artist’s name and an image number (e.g. “Smith1,” Smith1detail”, “Smith2,” etc.”).
Notification of Jury’s Decision:
The jury will review all entries by the end of January. Artists’ notifications and jury results will be sent by email on or before February 7, 2017. No substitution of selected work accepted.
Liability, Delivery, & Return of Work:
All art accepted for the show must be shipped by mail or delivered by hand and received on February 22, 23, or 24, but no later than 5:00 pm February 24th at the following address:
Greenville Unitarian Universalist Fellowship,
1135 State Park Rd
Greenville, SC 29609.
If your work is accepted for the show, you will receive detailed delivery and return shipping/pickup instructions along with your notification.
▪ All works accepted for the show must be suitably framed and/or ready for display. Works on paper must be framed under glass or Plexiglas. All work must be delivered wrapped and protected for storage till hanging of show. Unprotected works will not be accepted.
▪ All art works will be handled by experienced personnel and the utmost care taken to guarantee the safety of the work. The exhibition spaces will be staffed during all open hours of the show. However, IASD and GUUF will not be responsible for any loss or damage to the work during installation or during the exhibition. INSURANCE IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH ARTIST.
General Correspondence: email questions to:
(Subject line: IASD Art Entry Questions)
The deadline for receipt of entries is:
Midnight FEB 7, 2017, EST
Thank you for your interest in this IASD Regional Juried Dream Art Exhibition.